Tuesday, February 3, 2009

- changed it up

I know I said I'd post about all that cool stuff over late Dec/Jan, but you should probably know that I fib likes it's a part-time job. If you're really curious, maybe I can give a summary of the Bpong and Vegas stuff to you through facebook or whatevs.

Had a poker discussion a few weeks ago with someone who's poker opinions are among the best in the world. Basically, she pointed out reasons why I suck and things to improve, but the main thing I took from the discussion was that 9 man sngs (the game I played 10k+ sngs last year) just isn't as profitable as it used to be. This is actually a very good thing - I felt like throwing up the moment I sat down to play 9 mans at the start of the year. Assuming I was succumbing to a heavy amount of burn-out, she suggested I start playing the multi-table sngs. Although there's a lot more variance in these games, I'm having a buttload more fun playing them then 9 mans at any point last year. The math isn't as easy (or as readily available to the general public) as the stt (9 man) math and the player quality is substantially worse.

So, even though Jan for total profit was absolutely terrible, I did make a good deal over a fairly small amount of multis:
- $25/35 18 man; 245 games; 19% roi and $1150 profit ($5/gm)
- $15 18 man; 310 games; 21% roi and $1052 profit ($3/gm)
- $12 45 man; 351 games; 51% roi and $2135 profit ($6/gm)

That is, first of all, a very insignificant sample. Won't really know much about them until 1k games (probably much more) have been played, but it's a good start and looks promising at least.

Just to show how much variance can affect the total outcome (b/c it probably looks like I made around $4k over 1k games (approximations...duh), here's the stats for $25/35 45 mans:
- 196 games; -36% roi and -$1899 profit (-10/gm)

Pretty great, huh? Honestly, those are not any harder than the 25/35 18 mans...just more variance, a few more regs, and a whole f'ton of bad beats. Hopefully this month will be better and I can get rid of the little fishbowl icon next to the mid-stake 45 man stats. I'll just stick to the low stakes 18/45s and see how this month goes. Maybe I'll post more, too. Maybe I'm just lying again.

No comments: